The Barry Table

It's about food, sure, but just like Barry tables across Chicago and around the country, this is also a place to share ideas, make plans for family reunions and boast about recent accomplishments, food-related or not.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas on Agatite








The evening started off with a olive and fennel tapenade made by Brian, along with his "signature" selection of roasted peppers, olives and artichoke hearts - I think there was prosciutto too. One of Brian's Christmas gifts was a selection of salt from the spice shop in Evanston. We had a selection of Kosher flake salt, red alaea hawaiian sea salt, black lava hawaiin sea salt and portuguese salt cream. The salt looked beautiful on tiny little plates, but what was really good was the beef tenderloin, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, ravioli salad, regular salad, Pam's most excellent lasagne and other salads. Erin made her first roux - something I fondly remember my mother teaching me. The roux provided a base for a gravy made from beef stock that I had made the day before. After all that effort, the gravy was just OK.

After a fine meal, we had a chocolate torte provided by Ann, apple spice cupcakes provided by Pam, and crescent cookies by Sheila. After dessert, Pam conducted some impromptu science experiments using knitting boots, keys, quarters and our german pyramid nativity scene. Then we opened presents. During the evening, Grace gave people massages with the back massager she had received for Christmas. I'm also posting a few shots of Grace and Carolyn wearing Grace's cape. (We think Carolyn really wants a cape as awesome as Grace's cape)
Thanks to everybody for all your help, the food was great, but the company was even better. Mike, Lori, John, Sean, and Janet and Freddy were missed but it's great to see all of your posts and photos.


The buffet was elaborate enough that many variations were possible, from Kevin's plate, above, to Brian's and Anne's below. Note that everyone seems to have endorsed Brian's decision to buy green beans rather than asparagus (see earlier entry Christmas food shopping). (These photos and commentary added by Pat.)



5 comments:

Patrick Barry said...

Those girls in the cape look like they were having a lot of fun.

Now about this food-blog thing. I'm having a blast myself, but is there any possibility that we have become obsessed with talking about and photographing our food?

Did I mention that the salt selection was outstanding?

Brian and Sheila said...

I say no to being obsessed. Quite frankly, I believe I have been in a food rut for about 5 years now. I seem to have no enthusiasim for preparing meals, I dream of a machine that distributes a simple kibble, so I don't have to think about it. The added complication of trying to cook a meal that will satisfy 3 pasta loving children (while I like rice) - one of them being diabetic and who needs to watch his carbs, makes my shoulders sag and my zeal for food plummet. So I say no. I feel a small spark, a little fire, starting to come alive when I read the blog, its not big enough to actually motivate me to create anything, but lets keep feeding it and see what happens.

Patrick Barry said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence in this blog, which has been far more fun than I could have imagined when I sent that first e-mail about my lunch made of leftovers.

As for food ruts, we had just fought one off before the kids came home the holidays. Pam and I ate frozen Indian dinners two nights in a row, using the excuse that we were cleaning out the freezer. Luckily, we were never reduced to eating kibble.

John Byrne Barry said...

No comment on the obsession question -- but what I really want to know is whether Brian can really tell the difference between red alaea hawaiian sea salt and black lava hawaiin sea salt.

And if so, can you put it into words for those of us who subsist primarily on Western Family iodized salt. (Though I do have some La Balleine white sea salt crystals from the Mediterranean. But I only just found it as I was reorganizing my kitchen.)

Patrick Barry said...

I suggest a blind taste test of the various salts.