The Barry Table

It's about food, sure, but just like Barry tables across Chicago and around the country, this is also a place to share ideas, make plans for family reunions and boast about recent accomplishments, food-related or not.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Wildlife comes to Barry backyard


The Kestrel is back! As I pulled into the alley yesterday, the beautiful orange and blue bird shot out of the bushes with a sparrow in its talons and landed on the grape vine. I was so excited about his return; I called Pat from the car. “Quick look out the window!” By the time I got in the house the Kestrel was perched on a telephone pole devouring his catch.

That’s three years in a roll the Kestrel has arrived in February. See, this is why I keep a bird log. Though I suppose I should expand my notes to include all backyard wildlife. This is the first winter in several years that our yard is opossumless. Ugly old Oscar has been replaced by Jaws, a rather skinny looking rabbit. Today Jaws was joined by 6 squirrels, 2 Mourning Doves, several Rock Doves (sounds much better than pigeons) a pair of Cardinals and Downy Woodpeckers not to mention a flock of Houses Finches, Sparrows, Juncos and a STARLING or two.

I haven’t seen the Cooper’s Hawk for a few days. Perhaps he’ll make an appearance tomorrow.

1 comment:

Brian and Sheila said...

now i really like hawks and i need you to tell me how do you attract hawks? please tell me!!!!
grace