The Barry Table

It's about food, sure, but just like Barry tables across Chicago and around the country, this is also a place to share ideas, make plans for family reunions and boast about recent accomplishments, food-related or not.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sandwich Wars: the side dishes


Okay the grilled eggplant sandwich with arugula, avocado and smoked caciocavalo cheese could have been made in December, but the side is truly Spring.

First I steamed the fresh fava beans, baby artichokes and new potatoes. Then I tossed them together in a sauté of onions and garlic in a lemon zest sauce.

What sides are you creating?

5 comments:

Brian and Sheila said...

Pam - Most of my sides are carefully-chosen apples, oranges and bananas, unpeeled and thrown into a plastic bag as I walk out the door. Yours look better, but sometimes those oranges are really really good.

Patrick Barry said...

Speaking of bananas, have you tried the organic ones? I had one as a side dish with my lunch sandwich on the Red Line the other day (thanks, Pam, for whipping up the sandwich on such short notice). As I opened the bag I could smell the banana's perfume (even unpeeled), and the taste is much richer, too.

Sort of like the difference between a navel orange and a good blood orange. Yum.

Of course, in any case you want them to be "carefully chosen."

Brian and Sheila said...

smoked caciocavalo cheese? now that sounds incredible. as in delicious. also the little salad side does look and sound very good, i hope you continue the sandwich wars
grace

Pam Barry said...

Caciocavalo cheese is wonderful. Pat and I ate a lot of it during our 1981 bike trip. It was one of the cheapest cheese in Italy and always very tasty. (Ask me sometime about the cheapest cheese in Greece.)

I made the side dish again last night, this time with one large artichoke instead of baby ones. It was slightly messy but definitely worth the effort.

I'm glad to see you are turning into a true foodie, Grace. How about teaming up at the next Barry family reunion to set the food bar?

Brian and Sheila said...

oh yeah, ive become a foodie. thats what comes from living with the barry's
grace