The Barry Table

It's about food, sure, but just like Barry tables across Chicago and around the country, this is also a place to share ideas, make plans for family reunions and boast about recent accomplishments, food-related or not.

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Good food . . . and survival food


On Thanksgiving, two days before the wedding, we took the whole day to cook good food and be together as Janet worked through the table cards and we talked about the final details on what would become a legendary party. And we ate well, as the photo above suggests.

But you can't always manage "great" food. Sometimes when a mother is in the hospital, you fall back to survival food. The other day when I called Brian about Mom's trip to Swedish Covenant, he said, "I guess I'll lift weights for a while, take a shower, eat some leftover pasta with a fried egg on top, then go to the hospital." I was impressed: a pretty healthy approach to difficult times.

Tonight I didn't do so well. After a short nap this afternoon it was too late to cook any decent food before heading to the hospital, and we didn't have much in the fridge, anyway. What I managed? Rice with pepper-jack cheese on top and some leftover spinach, microwaved. To drink, in honor of Mom, a can of V8 juice. Not my best meal ever.

No comments: