The Barry Table

It's about food, sure, but just like Barry tables across Chicago and around the country, this is also a place to share ideas, make plans for family reunions and boast about recent accomplishments, food-related or not.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Question for Pam

The Brian and Sheila family had lasagna for dinner last night. I made it the previous night. It's really pretty easy if you use the no-boil noodles and jars of pasta sauce. I use Barilla noodles, fresh mozzarella and ricotta, two eggs, and whatever sauce is on sale. I think it turns out relatively light, but Sheila thinks it's still too cheesy and heavy.


Adam blurted out that he thinks the lasagna needed some artichokes in it, like Pam makes it. My question to Pam is: How do you do this? Jars of artichokes? Fresh? Canned? What size should they be? Do you cut 'em up? Do you rinse off the vinegar first? What other veggies do you put in your lasagna?


Let me know! With some tweaking I hope to put together a lasagna we all will love.

2 comments:

Pam Barry said...

Lasagna is a great family comfort food. I usually add canned artichokes cut into quarters. Don’t need too many, the idea is to surprise the palate every few bites. Other good vegetable tidbits are spinach, zucchini, calamata olives (yes I bought olives spelled with a “c" from Greece and sautéed mushrooms. You’ll probably want to skip the shrooms. I noticed Grace and Adam left the best part of your mushroom pasta on their plates.

Jarred sauce is a great time saver and I use it all the time. However, quality counts. I buy sauces with imported Italian tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil and only a few spices all of which are listed. As for cheese, I find ricotta too thick and have always used 2% cottage cheese. Sorry Freddy, I know the Italian part of you is in cardiac arrest just thinking about that substitution. I do use whole milk mozzarella and romano cheese. I haven’t used fresh mozzarella yet. I’ll have to try that.

I think baking time is important. You want the sauce to fully seep into the dish and fill your kitchen with good smells. 2 hours at 325 is about right for deep lasagna. Of course that’s not a quick meal. I used to make two lasagnas at a time and freeze one for later.

How’s that for playing Martha!

Brian and Sheila said...

Everyone here on agatite has always pretty much agreed that Pam's lasange is awesome - now that I've read your comments Pam, I understand why. You are into it. You write about lasagna the way Brian talks about sandwichs. I personally have never really liked lasagna that much - melted cheese has always somewhat grossed me out in any dish. I've always liked your lasagna though and I think it must be the cheese subsitution.